Have you ever been cooking and realize you need buttermilk and don’t have any? I have done this so many times. I have learned two ways to make buttermilk and they both work great. If I have time and the ingredients, I like method one the best but method 2 is faster prep time.
- Making buttermilk with heavy cream.
Take a canning jar (preferred) and fill half way with heavy cream. Tighten lid on the jar and shake. This will give you some exercise. Shake until the cream forms a yellow ball. This is butter. The butter is separating from the milk. Remove the butter and the remaining milk will be your buttermilk to use. This shaking process takes a few minutes. Directions on how to use the butter is at the end of this post.
- Making buttermilk with vinegar or lemon juice.
Measure out just a little less than 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
Put the vinegar or lemon juice in a bowl and then pour the milk over and stir.
Wait 5 minutes for the milk to sour and then it is ready to use.
How to use the butter from method 1
- Take the butter out of the milk
- Knead under cold water that is in a bowl until you get all the milk out of the butter (it will spoil really fast if you don’t do this step)
- Sprinkle with salt if you want salted butter.
- Store in refrigerator until you are ready to use it.