I am a thrift store junkie! I love to go thrift shopping and I have an Ebay store so just call me True Thrifty Geek. haha! It has been amazing to watch how the sterotype of thrift store and ebaying has revolved over the last couple of years. I remember when some one would ask me where I got my shirt and I would proudly say, Goodwill, they would give this look of…. gross, yuk, I would never shop there look. Now, I still give my proud reply of Goodwill and they say, I need to start shopping there or great find or awesome. More and more people are turning to thrift stores to get their everyday clothing needs, household needs or cool finds.
You can find so many great items at the thrift store, consignment shop or on Ebay. Let me share some tips I use when shopping at these places.
- For clothing, look for name brands that you are familar with. Most Goodwills, Ebay stores or consignment shops do have a return policy but they are not as easy as returning it to a department store. You are already familiar with the name brands that you know and you know how they fit you and your family.
- Keep a running list of items that you are needing for your household. This can include funiture, toys, household items, kitchen items, clothing, etc. If you keep a list of what you need, the size of it, the quanity and details, you will be able to search specifically for items when you go to a thrift store. It also helps you not impulse buy. I had a reader one time tell me that she even keeps a list of what clothes her kids would need for the next season and she would shop yard sales for those items. List are great!
- Have a budget in mind before you go into the store. This is just like grocery shopping. Go in with in mind that you only have $10 to spend or $20 to spend. That way the impulse will not take over and you can stay within your budget.
- Call ahead to some thrift stores and see if they have special days of the week that items go onsale. Some Goodwills have Monday’s that are 1/2 off. I don’t have that here but some areas do.
- Check out Ebay for items. I sell on Ebay and I sell clothing, household good, etc. There is everything out there. Many sellers are offering free shipping and best offer. You can find many good items for really cheap prices on Ebay. I would recommend to always check Ebay for any thing that you are going to buy before going to a department store. You might be suprised at how much is to offer.
I tend to not shop consignment shops just because they are a little more expensive than goodwill and ebay. But you can still find some great buys at consignment shops in your city.
Loose the sterotype and start thrifting….. it is fun!